Thursday, January 3, 2008

Plan #1: Training Up for the Half Marathon

A few months ago I decided that there would never be a better time for me to train for an Ironman than right now. The physical demands for an Ironman are intense and it is going to require many hours of training. Thankfully, my current work situation is very flexible and my wife is very supportive so I think I can pull it off.

However, there are several things that are working against me. First, I have a tendency to give up during races when I am not living up to the standards that I have set. This leads me to question whether or not I have the mental toughness necessary to complete an Ironman. Secondly, this will be a long term commitment and I have a tendency to leave long term personal projects unfinished. Thirdly, I am currently battling a quad injury that I have had since October. I took some time off after the Thanksgiving Day Race, but I have decided that it is time to start training again. After a month off I feel like a fat slob. I am just going to hope that the quad won't get any worse. Finally, I also need to get my neck looked at before I start swimming again. Luckily, that is one of my 101 things! Well enough of the excuses. Hopefully identifying them and calling them out will allow me to work past them.

2007 was a great year for me. I completed my first 15K (albeit slower than I would have liked). I completed my first adventure race. I set a personal best for a 5K (21:35). I completed my second triathlon (6mi canoe, 5.5mi run, 18mi bike). I'm hoping 2008 can be even better.

With these things in mind I have decided to start with realistic goals and build towards completing an Ironman in 2009. This year, I plan to complete an Olympic Distance Triathlon (1.5K Swim, 40K Bike, 10K Run) and a Half Marathon (13.1 mi) which I will use as building blocks for the marathon, HIM, and IM in 2009.

If you are interested, my entire race schedule for 2008 (and training logs) are located here . Using the great resources of Hal Higdon and Beginner Triathlete I've put together a training plan from now until the Olympic Triathlon in July.

So there ya have it! As my main man Kevin Bacon says in Tremors, "I've got myself a plan!"

No comments: