Wednesday, January 2, 2008

#17 Learn to Tie a Windsor Tie Knot

What is a Windsor Knot?

A windsor knot is a method of tying a tie that in my opinion looks a little more stylish than the standard Four-in-hand knot most people are familiar with.

Why is it on the list?

I first heard about the Windsor knot from my Father when he was teaching me the four-in-hand knot. He didn't know how to tie a Windsor, but he told me how nice they looked and that my Uncle was an expert at tying them. Though this conversation occurred over 10 years ago, the thought of tying a cooler looking tie knot stuck with me and this list finally provided me with the motivation to finally try and learn to tie what I thought of as a Double Windsor Tie Knot.

The Process!

As will be quite common with this list I started with trusty ole Wikipedia. It was there that I learned that the term Double Windsor was a misnomer. The real name was simply Windsor knot, or a Full Windsor knot. Next, I tried out a variety of youtube videos that purported to show how to tie a Windsor. After finding several poorly made videos I found this one:



However, as I was attempting to watch this video and learn, my sister saw me and decided she would learn as well. She busted it out quickly and then proceeded to teach me how. After several days of repeated practice (like I said... I had a slight head start on my 1001 days) I think I have managed to tie a pretty decent Windsor Knot.

1 down 100 more to go! And fear not! I will post pictures of my mad Windsor knot skills when I write my blog about another item on the list I have completed. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Vorak said...

Excellent post. I've always wondered how to tie a tie. Thanks dude.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.