Thursday, February 7, 2008

Duma Key

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with my 101 Things list, but I just finished reading Stephen King's new book Duma Key. Stephen King is one of my favorite authors, and judging by the amount of Stephen King books on my bookshelves (62 at last count) he far outpaces his nearest rival on my favorite list (Orson Scott Card - 29).

What I really love about Stephen King books is that when I read them I always feel like I've come home. When I'm reading a SK book I get the same feeling I get when after weeks of traveling I finally get back to my own bed. Duma Key was no exception.

I won't spoil the book (and if you want Im sure you can find a plot summary on the Interwebs) , but I think Duma Key is one of the best books SK has put out recently. Though I enjoyed Cell, Blaze, and Lisey's Story, Duma Key was a book that really hit me on an emotional level. I really felt for Edgar Freemantle and grew to love his daughter Ilse. If you aren't a fan of slow buildups this probably isn't a book for you, but I'm very content to settle in and enjoy King's slow simmer with the knowledge that even though things will eventually come to a full boil half the fun is getting there.

And yup all the usual SK things are present. 19s are all over if you look hard enough! There were also several laugh out loud moments (which got me a few interesting looks when I was reading in Market Square).

Also... the 2nd comic book series for The Dark Tower comes out in March. Whoo-hoo!!!

No comments: