Monday, February 8, 2010

Well... I guess I'm Going Rogue



If you've read this blog, you know I voted for Obama in last year's presidential election. McCain picking Palin as his VP played a major role in this selection, as I found her very very disturbing.

So when my father-in-law bought me Sarah Palin's book Going Rogue I tossed it aside. After all, life is too short and there are too many books to read to waste time on what almost has to be a ghost written biography of a woman who thinks Jesus rode a dinosaur and that government "death panels" would be worse than for-profit insurance company "death panels".

Then I read this column by Orson Scott Card. OSC is one of my favorite authors (Ender's Game is the classic everyone loves, but for my money you can't go wrong with Enchantment or Pastwatch), but I definitely disagree with the majority of his opinions. However, I still grant him a measure of respect and he made some valid points about Palin's book. I shouldn't assume how stupid it is until I've read it.

The icing on the cake came when I read this column by Laura Miller about reading a book you think you'll hate in 2010. Miller wrote one of my favorite books of 2009, The Magician's Book so I figured it was a sign.

I guess at some point this year, I'm Going Rogue.

Sigh.

No comments: