Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snowmaggedon. And Health Care!

I live about 9 miles from my work. It generally takes me 15 minutes to get there from my house. Today and yesterday it took a little longer to get there (about 20 minutes) but the neat thing is I got there despite the winter storm. How did I do it? Well, first of all I have a deal with my neighbor. I store his boat in my barn and in returns he plows my driveway. Unfortunately after my driveway I still have 9 miles to go. Lord knows I don't have the time, the money, or the desire to plow 9 miles of road. Thankfully, other people need to use this same road, so we all chip in a little bit and the county and city governments plow us out. So instead of paying an arm and a leg every time a blizzard hits to have someone plow the entire 9 mile stretch everyone in the county and city chips in and we can all use the roads. What a great system! When it snows, the roads get plowed. When the roads get pot holes, they get fixed. When something catches on fire, someone comes and puts it out. I love it!

Of course there are some folks out there who disagree...



Me, I think the government does an okay of a job with the plowing the roads. I'm happy to pay taxes to keep that party going. I also know that for six years I had a job that didn't offer health insurance, so I had individual insurance. Every time I went to the doctor my premium went up, and my deductible was so high I ignored my doctor's advice to get an MRI. I also know that the "death panels" are already here. And for some reason I have this crazy idea that a government run system that must answer to the public might just have people's welfare more in mind than for profit insurance companies.

So personally, I am just fine paying a little more taxes so that when the Kyler Van Nocker's of the world get cancer, they can get the treatment they need.

No comments: