Sunday, April 13, 2008

#62 Discover 5 new awesome local restaurants

Why it's on the list?

I think I've covered my love of local restaurants in previous posts.

The Process

Well, I think I'm waaaay over 5 now. With Saya, The Sunspot, Leathas, Market Square Kitchen, and more I think I've found plenty of sweet new places to eat. Of course, there's always more places to find and today it's time to talk about two of my new favorites:

Soups and Scoops Cafe: This is a little restaurant in Knoxville that has some of the best homemade soups I've had the pleasure of trying. My wife loved the Tomato Basil and I enjoyed the chicken noodle soup. The turkey sandwich with apricot chutney was also excellent. They also make their own ice cream (and have an astounding number of flavors). I've yet to try it, but I know a pistachio cone has got my name on it. Plus on Mondays ice cream is half off when you Moo like a Cow! Right up my alley!

Lynn's Paradise Cafe: Our friends in Louisville took us out to this place and it was a blast. We knew from the outside of the restaurant that whatever the food tasted like it was going to be a fun. They had one of those boards where you can poke your head through and get your picture taken (as a fork and a spoon). They had a store of merchandise filled with everything from Sigmund Freud Action figures to Awesome Derby Day Hats. The music was also excellent... nothing beats a little Classic Rock. Finally, each table had an ugly ass lamp on it... evidently there's a local ugly ass lamp contest and the winners wind up here!

On to the food! My wife and I started with the Fried Green Tomatoes. Now, sometimes when you order fried green tomatoes in a restaurant you get more fried than tomatoes. Not here. They were excellent and the spicy remoulade was delicious. Next, I decided to try the Spicy Seared Salmon, which is described in the menu as: Pan seared salmon marinated in garlic, ginger, shallots and crushed red pepper. Topped with a tomato fondue and shrimp jus. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the tomato fondue and shrimp jus really brought the dish together. I was definitely pausing and savoring the flavor. I also loved Lynn's choice of sides. Instead of just the traditional options, they had things like herb braised lima beans and braised rosemary cabbage. I chose those two items and they were great. I especially enjoyed the rosemary cabbage, a dish that was new to me. My wife's dish also tasted wonderful (the Hoppin Juan :a black bean chili and organic jasmine rice smothered with a zesty tropical mango chile salsa, cheddar cheese, sour cream and with cumin scented blue corn tortillas. I'm looking forward to a return trip, and this time I just might get the Jambalaya Pasta!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Lynn's Paradise Cafe was featured on a throwdown with Bobby Flay on the Food Network a couple of years ago. It is very yummy!