Sunday, March 9, 2008

Restaurant Review: Saya Korean and Japanese Restaurant

Normally, when you think good Sushi you probably don't think Fairborn, Ohio. Well, I have to tell you my friend that you need to think again.

I admit I had my doubts. It was dark and pouring down rain as I cruised down Kauffman avenue searching for Kaya. I passed two or three other Asian restaurants before I finally found Kaya, sitting with its sign in the dark next to the Clarke station.

My hopes not very high, I walked in to join a group of friends and was pleased to find that one of them was a regular. One of the employees of Saya pointed at him and said "You listen to him. He knows!". My friend suggested I try the "JH Roll".

Now I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Sushi only meals. I usually just order a few pieces of ala carte stuff. But my friend insisted that this would be more than enough. I ordered the JH roll, a piece of salmon, and a piece of tuna. The miso soup and accompanying salad were good (especially the miso on a cold wet evening).

The JH Roll arrived and wow. It was excellent. The roll itself contained crunchy tempura shrimp. On top was spicy crab. My lips are smacking just thinking about it. I quickly polished off the 8 pieces. The spice level was perfect. It got me where my sinuses were clearing up but my mouth wasn't on fire.

Needless to say I plan on visiting Saya again soon. Not only was my meal excellent, but the staff was friendly and attentive. I'm going to go ahead and consider it a new local find. My only problem is that the JH roll was soooo good I'll have a hard time trying some of the other rolls on the menu (which looked equally appealing).

No comments: