Monday, May 5, 2008

#58. Cook something from a Top Chef recipe

Why it is on the list?

It all started when my wife and I started living together. I wanted to watch ESPN every minute of the day and she wanted to watch an endless parade of Gilmore Girls and 7th Heaven on ABC family. Then one magical day we tuned in to Bravo and found a fat man in a bathtub making a movie and we had something we could both enjoy. We stayed on after Project Greenlight wasn't renewed and we've enjoyed everything from the overly dramatic antics of the Hair Sheriff to the insanity of Showdogs Moms and Dads:



But nothing captured our imagination quite like Top Chef. Sure we love food and this show is all about showcasing the talents and skills of some excellent Chefs. But once you add in a cast of crazy characters (Chunk Le Funk, Stephen (Tool and Douchebag!), Miguel (SSSSSSS), Dave (I'm not your bitch bitch), Marcel (foams!), Hung (Crazy knife skills), and Howie (sweating into the food) and make Tom Colicchio the head judge, you have yourself a winner.

For 4 seasons my wife and I have tuned in every Wednesday night at 10PM to drool over the amazing dishes the chefs created, longing for the opportunity to taste them. Well we decided it was time to take matters into our own hands!

The Process

As previously mentioned, I recently purchased the Top Chef Cookbook.

PDR_1760

The first order of business was to pick a recipe, and as my wife and I had wanted to cook Elia's breakfast dish from Season Two since we saw it we knew exactly what we wanted to try first. Luckily, the recipe was in the book and looked relatively simple to make.

PDR_1761

We gathered the ingredients (doubling everything since we were making two) and made a few substitutions (Pam instead of butter for frying the eggs, regular ole ham for coppa ham).

PDR_1763

My wife was the Chef and I started on my Sous Chef duties. I mixed the olive oil with the refried beans

PDR_1764

toasted the waffles and then covered em with the refried beans while the Chef was frying the eggs. My wife drizzled the maple syrup over the waffles

PDR_1767

and then tossed em in the broiler for a few minutes

PDR_1768

All that was left was to toss on the ham and egg, sprinkle with parsley, and serve

PDR_1769

It was delicious and a great way to start off the day! It was fun to make and I had a great time cooking with the wife and finally making something we saw on Top Chef.

No comments: