Monday, September 22, 2008

#41. Run a Marathon

Why is it on the list?

If you had told me 2 years ago I would eventually run a marathon I would have called you crazy. The thought of running 26.2 miles just seemed insane. But I had this bug up my ass that if I trained hard enough I could maybe ... just maybe... finish an Ironman one of these days. And well you can't do an Ironman without being able to do a marathon.

The Process

As usual, you can find a full break down of the race from the My Space page. But after months of training I finished my first marathon in 4:18:24, which is about a 9:52 pace. This is a little slower than I had secretly hoped, but I did complete my goal of beating Oprah's marathon time. I made it to the 20 mile mark in about 3 hours, but bad leg cramps derailed my dreams of beating P Diddy and the 4 hour mark. Completing those last 6.2 miles was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I was thrilled to cross the finish line in good shape and to be able to celebrate with my wife who also finished her first marathon!

Two days later I am a bit sore, but I'm ready to march on to the dream of becoming an Ironman. The next big step will be the Half Ironman and I'm targeting the Great Buckeye Challenge in August 09. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Stacie said...

GOOD FOR YOU and ANDREA!!!!!!!

How are your feet? Amanda (Geary, my roommate from college and classmate in high school) said she couldn't wear real shoes for a week after she ran the marathon earlier this year.

dtjunkie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dtjunkie said...

Thanks!

For the most part, my feet are fine. I have one toenail that is bruised underneath, but every thing is good beyond that.