Monday, July 28, 2008

#64. Eat at new ethnic restaurants (Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, Jamaican)

Growing up in Northern Kentucky did not provide a lot of chances for experiencing cultural diversity. The town I grew up in was about 98% Caucasian and for 16 years I went to Catholic schools that had about the same demographic. Thus, I spent the first 22 years of my life living in some sort of bubble where everyone looked the same, thought the same, worshiped the same, and ate the same. I ate steak, fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken tenders, fried fish, French fries, ice cream, and Snicker bars. I pounded Big Macs and the now defunct Arch Deluxe. I thought Red Lobster was the best seafood restaurant in the world and that the perfect Italian meal could be had at the Olive Garden.

Then I went to graduate school.

Within our program we had students from: India, Malaysia, China, Russia, Spain, Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Japan, and the United Kingdom. We had Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Hindus, Buddhists, Evangelicals, Protestants, Catholics, Agnostics, and Atheists. We had Vegans, Vegetarians, Kosher, Fish on Fridays, and Fasters. It was thanks to this diverse group of people that I began to see there was more to the world than what I had experienced in the NKY.

Early on in my first year, the graduate students had a cultural evening where everyone brought a dish from their country/region (I brought a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken). And wow… I was amazed. There was so much tasty food that I had never even heard of let alone tasted. The next thing you know I was sitting at Amar India eating Lamb Curry. I was having a gyro at the Greek Isle Deli. I was eating Sushi with chopsticks and I was loving the eye watering spice at Thai Nine (once I gave it two or three tries). I realized that I loved international cuisine and every time I wanted to eat out I found myself heading to Jeet India or the Japanese Hibatchi or well you get it. This also showed me how great local restaurants are compared to chains and led me to discover great local American fare as well.

When I moved to Knoxville I decided to continue exploring different cuisines. I tried Cuban and Korean. Since the last update I’ve had some great shrimp spring rolls from T Ho. Vietnamese, some excellent shrimp noodles at the Philippine Connection (along with a drink that had coconut milk, tropical fruit, and sweet beans that was reminiscent of a drink I had in Hawaii), and falafel, fried zucchini, baklava, and Turkish Delights from Ali Baba’s. (all three of which are located in Knoxville).

So I’ve definitely fulfilled my quota of three new ethnic cuisines (although I have yet to try Ethiopian). However, the fun didn’t stop there! Today for lunch I had paprika schnitzel at Anna’s German Quick Stop (with some great sauerkraut and an excellent salad that had cucumbers and green beans). Then I went to the Jamaican Cuisine for dinner. The Jerk Chicken was fabulous. I’ve had “Jamaican Jerk Chicken” before but this stuff was the real deal. The rice and “peas” was terrific and I’ve decided that I absolutely love cabbage.

So thank you my fellow graduate students for opening my mind and my stomach to wonderful new worlds.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Millions of ethnic restaurants here in Bloomington, if you ever happen this way. We have Tibetan (owned by the Dalai Lama's brother, seriously), Afghani, Thai, Korean, Turkish, etc.