Saturday, June 14, 2008

Progress Update: Adding tricks to the rotation

I knew it had been awhile when my wife asked me, "So when are you gonna add some more tricks to the rotation?". I quickly assured her that it wasn't my fault! How am I supposed to add tricks to the rotation when my main source of recipes, The Common Culinarian, has been slacking! With no new recipes in sight and a wife tired of tacos and spaghetti I decided the only thing I could do was type pork (for some reason I'm really comfortable cooking w/ pork and chicken...everything else frightens me) in the search field of the Common Culinarian's website and hope for the best.

BAM! Pork Curry in a Hurry! I read through the recipe and thought, "Hell I can make this". I searched the pantry, found most of what I needed, decided that curry powder couldn't be that much different than red curry powder, and headed to Kroger to score some green beans, a bell pepper, lime juice, and coconut milk!

PDR_2039

I cut up the pepper, snapped the beans, and cubed the pork. Now even though multitasking in the kitchen isn't one of my strengths, I put the rice on and started to skillet (that's the technical term) up the pork.

PDR_2040

Once the pork was finished I started cooking the green beans and the bell pepper while continuously futzing with the rice. When it came time to add the coconut milk, I realized the electric can opener was broken and I couldn't find a mechanical one. I was "in the weeds" (as they say on Top Chef) as I tried to pry the lid open while keeping an eye on the veggies and the rice. Thank god my wife arrived home from work in time to save the day.

With her assistance I finally got the can open and added it along with all the spices:

PDR_2041

I heated it through, added the lime juice & sugar, and then served it up!

pciah

(Well that was a blurry photo) I think it tasted great and my wife seemed to agreed when she immediately said, "Add this to the rotation!" My only complaint was a lack of spiciness, which may have been due to choosing curry powder over red curry powder. I like my Thai food spicy and next time I'll try to kick it up a notch.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I'm getting after Hal to update. Hummus wraps and Alaskan Halibut to come!